Happy Meal Prep Sunday!!
So many people have asked me about the protein waffles I make so I thought it was time to share the recipe with all of you!
First let me tell you that these are so worth the time they take to make! The recipe looked a little difficult to me, it takes me a little while to get the egg whites just right and our waffle maker only makes two at a time; but these bad boys last my husband and I all week and they seriously power me through my morning!
If you’re following the 21 Day Fix program, 1 waffle is 1 yellow container. Here ya go!
What You’ll Need:
- 2 Cups Oat Flour (grind raw oats in a blender or food processor to make flour)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed (I bought pre packaged flax seed/chia seed packets at Albertsons)
- 3/4 whey protein powder, vanilla flavor (I’ve used oreo flavor and am using chocolate next)
- 1 tsp baking powder, gluten free
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 4 large egg whites (1/2 cup) beaten to form stiff peaks
- 1 pinch sea salt (or Himalayan Salt(
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Pure maple syrup
- Preheat waffle iron
- Combine oat flour, flaxseeds, protein powder and baking soda in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Combine extract and almond milk in a medium bowl; whisk to blend.
- Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture; whisk gently just until a smooth batter forms.
- Gently fold in egg whites.
- Cook 2/3 cup batter in preheated waffle iron, lightly coated with spray, for approximately 3 to 5 minutes (or according to specifications of your particular model – mine has a light that goes on when done), or until crisp and golden brown.
- Freeze for the week in a Ziploc bag
You’re going to love these! And according the FIXATE cookbook each waffle has 19g of carbs, 2g of Fiber & 8g of Protein…the perfect pre workout meal! I eat one with 1/2 tbsp of all natural peanut butter but you can also use pure maple syrup.
Let me know how you liked them and if you’d like to see more recipes on the blog!